DRUM MAJOR AUDITIONS
Auditions will be held Tuesday, May 1st in the band room at 5:00 PM.
To be eligible, students should be either a junior or senior (2018-19 school year) and have at least one year of experience in the marching band.
Things to prepare:
1. All applicants should prepare a one page essay on what it means to them to be a good leader.
2. Applicants should provide at least two teacher recommendations. Teachers can email this to me at email@example.com. This should be a short letter addressing your attitude, dependability, and leadership skills.
3. Each applicant shall give these verbal commands, from a distance away, while other candidates (or staff) will execute them. Your voice should be clear, projected with a good cadence and confidence.
BAND 'TEN HUT, BAND HORNS UP,
MARK TIME MARK, FORWARD MARCH,
MARK TIME MARK, BAND PARADE REST
4. Brief interview. Each candidate will be asked a few questions regarding what it takes to be a drum major and why they would be a good fit.
5. All applicants will conduct The Star Spangled Banner. The song is in the meter of 3. Please take the time to learn how to conduct in 3. Here is good explanation. http://www.musicedted.info/Directing/Conducting_clarity.html
Below is a YouTube video example of a drum major conducting the anthem.
Below is the audio recording of the Star Spangled Banner that will be used followed by the downloadable score. Please listen for any tempo changes and fermatas (when the conductor holds the note).